Master of Metaphysics

This blog is for the comments regarding the Master of Metaphysics - Spirit Quest program offered through the Universal Life Church and their online seminary program.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Spirit Quest

Spirit Quest Essay by Rev. Timothy Spotswood


I found the Spirit Quest course to be very informative and helpful. I have been involved in religious studies for over 30 years and practicing daily meditation for over 20. So when the course starts out with lessons in meditation I decide that since I paid for the course and want to take it seriously I will study the lessons. Although, since I have been meditating for so many years, I am sure they will have some good information for beginners, but not for me. Imagine my surprise when one of the first things I read about is the ‘grounding cord’. I don’t recall ever learning about this wonderful tool. The blowing up roses is a great tool as well but I have used similar things, but I can not stress how much the grounding cord has helped me. So the first lesson learned is to keep my mind open; I might actually learn something if I let me.



For the first half of the course I was doing very well. I was reading all the lessons as soon as they came in, working on the exercises, taking lots of notes. I really felt I was making some good progress. Then, about half way through I took a vacation out of state for a couple weeks, without internet access. I knew I would be a bit behind but could readily catch up, or just stay a couple weeks behind and continue.



Unfortunately when I got back from Disney World I had not only lost my momentum, I had seemed to have lost interest in the course. I just always had other things to do instead of catching up on my reading. After a few weeks of this I decided to try and figure out what was going on. I mean I was really enjoying the course and felt I was doing well. Why would I try to convince myself I was too busy to pick it back up?



After some mediation I realized I had done this before. Many times before. Throughout my life as things start to go well for me, either in a relationship or business things always fall apart. After some contemplation I realized I was doing it to myself. Something would start to go right for me and I would do something to mess it up. As if some part of me didn’t think I deserved to be happy. I tried to determine when this started or how long I had been doing it. I could not come up with a particular event or time but I could almost see myself around pre-school age and knowing I was a bad person.



I know I am not a bad person but the feeling was very hard to overcome. I decided I had to take charge and try to overcome it. So for starters I would finish this course. As I pick up the next lesson imagine my surprise to see lesson 15 Affirmations, then 16 Speaking In The Positive. These two lessons seemed to cover what I had just spent the last two months working on. I am glad I worked on these ideas first because reading the lessons meant much more to me than if I had read them first (and probably just glossed over them)



Life is a journey. I thank you very much for this course and the help it gave me, and will continue to give me on my journey. The end of the course is not really a destination, but more a step in the right direction. I took almost 10 months to make this step, instead of 8. But I have learned patience a long time ago, and I feel it is more important to do something right, not necessarily fast.


Timothy ‘ Tukaram ‘Spotswood

********************

Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free,  and lasts for life, so use the Free Online Ordination, button.

As a long time member of ULC, Rev. Long created the seminary site to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar


No comments:

Post a Comment